Essential Apps and Tools for Nomads in Chile
Chile is a country known for its stunning landscapes, vibrant culture, and welcoming people. For digital nomads exploring this South American gem, having the right apps and tools can greatly enhance their experience. Whether you’re looking for transportation options, language assistance, or ways to connect with fellow nomads, Chile has a range of apps and tools to make your stay more convenient and enjoyable. Here are some essential ones to consider:
- Uber: Uber is a popular ridesharing app available in major cities in Chile, such as Santiago and Valparaíso. It offers a convenient and affordable way to get around.
- Transantiago: Transantiago is the official public transportation app in Santiago. It provides information on bus and metro routes, schedules, and fares.
- Wompi: Wompi is a mobile payment app widely accepted in Chile. It allows you to make secure payments for various services, including transportation, without the need for cash.
Uber allows you to request a ride with just a few taps on your smartphone. It provides upfront pricing, cashless payments, and the ability to track your driver’s location in real-time.
The app also offers a trip planner feature, which helps you find the most efficient route to your destination. It’s a handy tool for navigating the city’s extensive public transportation network.
With Wompi, you can easily pay for rides, parking, and other transportation-related expenses through your smartphone. It offers a convenient and contactless payment solution.
- Google Translate: Google Translate is a reliable language translation app that can help you communicate with locals in Chile.
- SpanishDict: SpanishDict is a comprehensive Spanish-English dictionary app that can assist you in understanding and learning the local language.
- Chilean Slang Dictionary: Chilean Spanish has its own unique slang and expressions. The Chilean Slang Dictionary app helps you decipher local slang and understand colloquialisms.
The app supports instant translation of text, voice, and images. It also offers offline translation, which can be useful when you don’t have an internet connection.
The app provides translations, definitions, conjugations, and audio pronunciations for words and phrases. It’s a valuable tool for improving your Spanish skills while in Chile.
With this app, you can quickly look up Chilean slang terms and their meanings, allowing you to better connect with locals and understand the local culture.
- WhatsApp: WhatsApp is a widely used messaging app in Chile. It allows you to send text messages, make voice and video calls, and share media files.
- Tandem: Tandem is a language exchange app that connects you with native speakers in Chile who want to practice your language and help you practice theirs.
- Skype: Skype is a reliable video calling app that can be useful for staying in touch with friends and family back home.
WhatsApp is particularly popular for its group chat feature, which makes it easy to stay connected with fellow nomads or join local community groups.
Through Tandem, you can have virtual language exchange sessions via voice or video calls, allowing you to improve your language skills while making new friends.
With Skype, you can make high-quality video calls, send instant messages, and even make international calls at affordable rates.
Community and Networking
- Meetup: Meetup is a platform that connects people with similar interests in various locations, including Chile.
- Nomad List: Nomad List is a community-driven platform that provides information and resources for digital nomads, including those in Chile.
- Coworking Spaces: Chile has a growing number of coworking spaces that cater to digital nomads and remote workers.
The app allows you to discover and join local events and meetups, making it easy to connect with like-minded individuals and expand your professional and social network.
The platform offers insights into the cost of living, internet speeds, safety, and other factors relevant to nomads. It also has a forum where you can connect with fellow nomads and ask questions.
Some popular options include The Urban Station, Work Café, and Impact Hub Santiago. These spaces provide a productive work environment and opportunities to network with other professionals.
Finance and Banking
- TransferWise: TransferWise is a money transfer service that offers competitive exchange rates and low fees.
- Khipu: Khipu is a popular payment platform in Chile that allows you to make secure online payments and transfers.
- Banco Estado: Banco Estado is one of the largest banks in Chile and offers a range of banking services for both individuals and businesses.
With TransferWise, you can easily send and receive money in different currencies, making it convenient for managing your finances while in Chile.
The platform supports payments to a wide range of merchants, including utilities, online stores, and service providers.
If you’re staying in Chile for an extended period, opening an account with Banco Estado can be beneficial for managing your finances and accessing local banking services.
Health and Safety
- SOSAFE: SOSAFE is a mobile app that provides real-time information on safety incidents, emergencies, and public services in Chile.
- Cruz Verde: Cruz Verde is a popular pharmacy chain in Chile that has its own mobile app.
- Chile Emergency Numbers: It’s crucial to have emergency numbers readily available when traveling in Chile.
The app allows you to report incidents, receive alerts, and access relevant information to stay informed and safe while in the country.
The app enables you to locate nearby pharmacies, check medication availability, and even order prescriptions for delivery.
The Chile Emergency Numbers app provides a list of important emergency contacts, including police, fire, and medical services.
- Airbnb: Airbnb is a popular accommodation platform that offers a wide range of options, including apartments, houses, and rooms for rent in Chile.
- Booking.com: Booking.com is a well-known online travel agency that provides a vast selection of hotels, hostels, and guesthouses in Chile.
- Hostelworld: If you’re on a budget or prefer a social atmosphere, Hostelworld is an excellent platform for finding hostels in Chile.
With Airbnb, you can find affordable and unique accommodation that suits your preferences and budget. It’s a great option for experiencing local neighborhoods and connecting with hosts.
The platform allows you to compare prices, read reviews, and book accommodation that meets your needs. It’s a reliable resource for finding comfortable and convenient places to stay.
The website features a wide range of hostels with different amenities and price points. It’s a popular choice among backpackers and solo travelers.
Food and Dining
- HappyCow: HappyCow is a comprehensive guide to vegetarian and vegan-friendly restaurants and cafes in Chile.
- Foursquare: Foursquare is a popular app for discovering restaurants, cafes, and other dining establishments in Chile.
- Yelp: Yelp is another widely used platform for finding and reviewing restaurants in Chile.
The app provides information on the nearest vegan and vegetarian options, as well as reviews and ratings from the community.
The app features user-generated reviews, ratings, and recommendations, making it a valuable resource for finding local culinary gems.
With Yelp, you can search for dining options based on cuisine, location, and price range. The app also provides photos, menus, and contact information for each establishment.
Exploring Chile as a nomad can be an enriching experience, and having the right apps and tools can greatly enhance your journey. From transportation and language assistance to communication and networking, the apps and tools mentioned above are essential for navigating Chile’s vibrant cities and immersing yourself in the local culture. Additionally, finance and banking tools, health and safety apps, and resources for finding accommodation and dining options are invaluable for a smooth and enjoyable stay. With these essential apps and tools at your fingertips, you’ll be well-equipped to make the most of your nomadic adventure in Chile.
– Uber: www.uber.com
– Transantiago: www.transantiago.cl
– Wompi: www.wompi.com
– Google Translate: translate.google.com
– SpanishDict: www.spanishdict.com
– Chilean Slang Dictionary: www.chileanslang.com
– WhatsApp: www.whatsapp.com
– Tandem: www.tandem.net
– Skype: www.skype.com
– Meetup: www.meetup.com
– Nomad List: www.nomadlist.com
– The Urban Station: www.theurbanstation.cl
– Work Café: www.workcafe.cl
– Impact Hub Santiago: www.impacthub.cl
– TransferWise: www.transferwise.com
– Khipu: www.khipu.com
– Banco Estado: www.bancoestado.cl
– SOSAFE: www.sosafeapp.com
– Cruz Verde: www.cruzverde.cl
– Chile Emergency Numbers: www.emergencynumbers.cl
– Airbnb: www.airbnb.com
– Booking.com: www.booking.com
– Hostelworld: www.hostelworld.com
– HappyCow: www.happycow.net
– Foursquare: www.foursquare.com
– Yelp: www.yelp.com