Hiring Local Services: Tips for Nomads in Armenia
Armenia, with its rich history, stunning landscapes, and warm hospitality, is an attractive destination for digital nomads looking for a unique experience. While navigating a new country can be challenging, hiring local services can simplify your stay and enhance your overall experience. In this article, we will provide you with valuable tips on hiring local services in Armenia, ensuring a smooth transition and enjoyable stay.
Transportation is an essential aspect of nomad life, and Armenia offers various options to suit your needs. Whether you prefer public transportation or private services, here are some key points to consider:
- Taxi Services: Taxi services in Armenia are abundant, and you can easily find them in major cities. Look for licensed taxis with meters or agree on a fixed price before starting your journey. Popular taxi services include Yandex.Taxi and GG Taxi.
- Rideshare Apps: Rideshare apps like Uber and Bolt are available in Armenia, providing a convenient and cost-effective way to get around. Download the respective app and enjoy the benefits of cashless transactions and reliable service.
- Car Rentals: If you prefer the freedom of having your own vehicle, car rentals are available in Armenia. Ensure you have a valid driver’s license and consider renting from reputable companies such as Enterprise, Avis, or Sixt.
- Public Transportation: Armenia has an extensive public transportation network, including buses, minibusses (marshrutkas), and metro systems in Yerevan. Familiarize yourself with the routes and schedules to navigate the city and explore the country.
Finding suitable accommodation is crucial for a comfortable stay in Armenia. Consider the following options:
- Hotels: Armenia offers a wide range of hotels, from luxurious resorts to budget-friendly options. Popular hotels in Yerevan include the Marriott Hotel, Radisson Blu Hotel, and Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel.
- Apartments: Renting an apartment is a popular choice among digital nomads. Websites like Airbnb and Booking.com offer a variety of furnished apartments in different locations across Armenia.
- Guesthouses: For a more local experience, consider staying in guesthouses. They provide a homely atmosphere and an opportunity to interact with locals. Websites like Guesthouse.am and Booking.com can help you find suitable guesthouses.
- Hostels: If you’re on a budget or prefer a social environment, hostels are a great option. Yerevan Hostel, Envoy Hostel, and Kantar Hostel are well-known choices among travelers.
Food and Dining Services
Exploring Armenian cuisine is a must when visiting the country. Here are some tips for enjoying local food and dining experiences:
- Traditional Restaurants: Try traditional Armenian restaurants to savor authentic dishes like dolma, khorovats (Armenian barbecue), and lavash (traditional bread). Popular restaurants include Dolmama, Tavern Yerevan, and Our Village.
- Street Food: Don’t miss out on the vibrant street food scene in Armenia. Try delicious treats like Armenian-style pizza (lahmajoun), khorovats wraps, and gata (sweet pastry). Visit food markets and street stalls to sample local flavors.
- Cafes and Bakeries: Armenia is known for its cozy cafes and bakeries. Enjoy a cup of Armenian coffee or indulge in freshly baked pastries like nazook and gata. Cafes like Achajour and Green Bean Coffee serve excellent coffee and snacks.
- Wine Tastings: Armenia has a rich wine-making tradition dating back thousands of years. Visit wineries in regions like Areni and enjoy wine tastings to experience the unique flavors of Armenian wines.
Taking care of your health is essential while living abroad. Here are some healthcare tips for nomads in Armenia:
- Hospitals and Clinics: Armenia has a well-established healthcare system with modern hospitals and clinics. Some reputable healthcare facilities include the American Medical Center, Erebouni Medical Center, and Nork-Marash Medical Center.
- Health Insurance: It’s advisable to have comprehensive health insurance that covers medical expenses while in Armenia. Research and choose an insurance plan that suits your needs.
- Pharmacies: Pharmacies are widely available in Armenia, and you can find both prescription and over-the-counter medications. Look for pharmacies with knowledgeable staff who can assist you with your needs.
- Emergency Services: In case of emergencies, dial 103 for an ambulance and 101 for the fire department. Keep emergency contact numbers handy for quick access.
Hiring local services in Armenia can greatly enhance your nomadic experience. From transportation and accommodation to food and healthcare, Armenia offers a variety of options to suit your needs. Remember to research and plan ahead to ensure a smooth and enjoyable stay in this beautiful country.