Hiring Local Services: Tips for Nomads in Colombia
Colombia is a vibrant and diverse country that attracts digital nomads from all over the world. With its rich culture, stunning landscapes, and affordable cost of living, it’s no wonder that more and more people are choosing Colombia as their base for remote work. However, navigating the local services in a foreign country can be challenging, especially if you’re not familiar with the language or the local customs. In this article, we will provide you with valuable tips on hiring local services in Colombia, ensuring a smooth and enjoyable experience during your stay.
Transportation is a crucial aspect of any digital nomad’s life, and Colombia offers various options to get around. Whether you need a taxi or a rideshare service, here are some essential tips to keep in mind:
- Research reputable taxi services: Before hopping into a taxi, it’s essential to research reputable taxi companies in Colombia. Look for well-known companies with positive reviews to ensure a safe and reliable experience.
- Use ride-hailing apps: Ride-hailing apps like Uber and Beat are popular in major Colombian cities such as Bogota and Medellin. These apps provide a convenient and safe way to book rides without the hassle of negotiating fares.
- Learn basic Spanish phrases: While many taxi drivers in Colombia may speak some English, it’s always helpful to know a few basic Spanish phrases to communicate your destination and any specific instructions.
- Be cautious with street taxis: Street taxis can be a hit or miss in terms of safety and reliability. If you choose to take a street taxi, make sure it has a visible license plate, a working meter, and that you negotiate the fare before starting the ride.
Finding suitable accommodation is crucial for digital nomads, and Colombia offers a wide range of options. Whether you prefer hotels, guesthouses, or rental apartments, here are some tips to consider:
- Research different neighborhoods: Colombia has diverse neighborhoods, each with its unique charm and characteristics. Research different neighborhoods to find the one that aligns with your preferences in terms of safety, amenities, and proximity to coworking spaces or cafes.
- Read reviews and compare prices: Before booking accommodation, read reviews from previous guests to get an idea of the quality and service provided. Additionally, compare prices across different platforms to ensure you’re getting the best deal.
- Consider safety measures: Safety is paramount when choosing accommodation. Look for properties with security measures such as CCTV, 24/7 front desk service, and secure entrances to ensure your peace of mind.
- Utilize online booking platforms: Online booking platforms like Booking.com, Airbnb, and Expedia offer a wide range of accommodation options in Colombia. Utilize these platforms to compare prices, read reviews, and book your preferred accommodation hassle-free.
Food and Dining Services
Colombian cuisine is diverse and delicious, offering a wide array of flavors for every palate. Here are some tips for exploring the local food and dining scene:
- Try local street food: Colombia is famous for its street food culture. Don’t miss the chance to try local delicacies such as arepas, empanadas, and bandeja paisa from street vendors. Just make sure to choose vendors with clean and hygienic food preparation practices.
- Research popular restaurants: If you’re looking for a sit-down dining experience, research popular restaurants in the area you’re staying. Online platforms like TripAdvisor can provide valuable insights into the best dining options in Colombia.
- Learn about meal times: In Colombia, meal times may differ from what you’re accustomed to. Lunch is typically the main meal of the day, served between 12 pm and 2 pm. Dinner is usually lighter and served later in the evening, around 7 pm or 8 pm.
- Consider dietary restrictions: If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, it’s essential to communicate them clearly when ordering food. Learn basic Spanish phrases related to dietary restrictions to ensure your needs are understood.
Taking care of your health is crucial, especially when living in a foreign country. Here are some tips for accessing healthcare services in Colombia:
- Get travel insurance: Before arriving in Colombia, make sure to secure travel insurance that covers medical emergencies. This will provide you with peace of mind and financial protection in case of any unforeseen health issues.
- Research healthcare facilities: Research healthcare facilities in the area you’ll be staying, including hospitals, clinics, and pharmacies. Look for facilities with English-speaking staff and positive reviews from previous patients.
- Carry necessary documents: When seeking healthcare services, carry your identification documents, travel insurance details, and any relevant medical records. This will facilitate the process and ensure you receive appropriate care.
- Consider vaccinations: Depending on your travel plans within Colombia, it may be necessary to get certain vaccinations. Consult with a healthcare professional or visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website for up-to-date information on recommended vaccinations.
Staying connected is essential for digital nomads, and Colombia offers reliable communication services. Here are some tips to ensure you stay connected during your stay:
- Get a local SIM card: Purchasing a local SIM card will enable you to have a local phone number and access affordable data plans. Visit a local service provider’s store or kiosk to get a SIM card that suits your needs.
- Research internet service providers: If you’re planning on staying in Colombia for an extended period, consider researching internet service providers (ISPs) in the area. Look for ISPs with reliable connections and high-speed internet options.
- Utilize coworking spaces: Coworking spaces are popular among digital nomads and often offer reliable internet connections. Consider joining a coworking space to have a dedicated workspace and access to a community of like-minded individuals.
- Use messaging apps: Messaging apps like WhatsApp and Telegram are widely used in Colombia for communication. Download these apps to stay in touch with locals, fellow nomads, and friends and family back home.
Managing your finances is essential when living abroad. Here are some tips for navigating banking services in Colombia:
- Open a local bank account: If you plan on staying in Colombia long-term, consider opening a local bank account. This will allow you to receive payments, access ATMs with lower fees, and avoid international transaction fees.
- Research international transaction fees: If you prefer to use your international bank account, research the fees associated with international transactions. Compare rates across different banks to minimize transaction costs.
- Notify your bank: Before traveling to Colombia, notify your bank of your travel plans to avoid any issues with your cards being blocked due to suspicious activity. This will ensure seamless access to your funds while in the country.
- Utilize online banking: Most Colombian banks offer online banking services, allowing you to manage your finances conveniently. Set up online banking and familiarize yourself with the platform to monitor your transactions and account balances.
Entertainment and Recreation Services
Colombia offers a plethora of entertainment and recreational activities for digital nomads to enjoy during their free time. Here are some tips to make the most of your leisure activities:
- Explore museums and cultural centers: Colombia is rich in history and culture, with numerous museums and cultural centers to explore. Research popular attractions in the area you’re staying and plan visits to immerse yourself in Colombia’s heritage.
- Visit malls and shopping centers: If you’re in the mood for shopping or want to explore local brands, visit Colombia’s malls and shopping centers. These establishments offer a wide range of stores, restaurants, and entertainment options.
- Discover natural wonders: Colombia is known for its breathtaking natural landscapes. From lush national parks to stunning beaches and rivers, take the time to explore the country’s natural wonders and engage in outdoor activities like hiking, swimming, and surfing.
- Attend local events and festivals: Keep an eye out for local events and festivals happening during your stay. These events provide an excellent opportunity to immerse yourself in Colombian traditions, music, and food.
Hiring local services in Colombia as a digital nomad can be an enriching experience. By following these tips, you’ll be able to navigate transportation, accommodation, food, healthcare, communication, banking, and entertainment services with ease. Remember to research and plan ahead, communicate clearly, and embrace the vibrant Colombian culture. Enjoy your time in this beautiful country and make the most of your nomadic lifestyle!
Colombia Image 1:
Colombia Image 2:
Colombia Image 3: