Networking in China: Where to Meet Fellow Digital Nomads
China is a country that offers a vast array of opportunities for digital nomads. With its booming economy and thriving tech industry, it has become a popular destination for remote workers and entrepreneurs. In order to make the most of your time in China, it’s important to network and connect with fellow digital nomads. This article will guide you through some of the best places to meet like-minded individuals in China.
Co-working spaces have become a hub for digital nomads in China. These shared office spaces provide a conducive environment for networking and collaboration. Here are some popular co-working spaces in China:
- WeWork: With multiple locations across major cities in China, WeWork offers a vibrant community of digital nomads. It provides well-equipped workspaces, networking events, and access to a global network of professionals.
- Ucommune: Formerly known as UrWork, Ucommune is another prominent co-working space in China. It offers flexible memberships, networking opportunities, and a supportive community.
- People Squared (P2): P2 has several locations in China and focuses on fostering creativity and innovation. It hosts various events and workshops, making it an ideal place to meet fellow digital nomads.
Tech and Startup Events
Attending tech and startup events is a great way to connect with fellow digital nomads in China. These events bring together entrepreneurs, investors, and industry experts. Here are some notable events to consider:
- The China Conference: Held annually in Beijing, this conference attracts a diverse crowd of tech enthusiasts and entrepreneurs. It offers networking opportunities, panel discussions, and keynote speeches.
- GMIC (Global Mobile Internet Conference): GMIC is one of the largest tech conferences in Asia, held in Beijing. It brings together industry leaders, startups, and investors, providing ample networking opportunities.
- ChinaBang Awards: This event celebrates China’s top startups and entrepreneurs. Attending the awards ceremony is a great way to connect with digital nomads who are making waves in the Chinese tech scene.
Online Communities and Forums
Engaging with online communities and forums can be a valuable way to meet fellow digital nomads in China. These platforms allow you to connect with individuals who share similar interests and experiences. Here are some popular online communities:
- Internations: Internations is an expat community that connects people living and working in China. It offers forums, events, and interest-based groups, making it easy to find and connect with digital nomads.
- Reddit: The China subreddit is a vibrant online community where digital nomads share tips, ask questions, and organize meetups. It’s a great platform to connect with like-minded individuals.
- Facebook Groups: Various Facebook groups cater to digital nomads in China. Joining these groups can provide opportunities to network, seek advice, and stay updated on events happening in the digital nomad community.
Expat Networking Events
Expat networking events are another avenue to meet fellow digital nomads in China. These events are often organized by expat communities or organizations and offer a platform to connect with individuals from different backgrounds. Some popular expat networking events in China include:
- InterNations Social Events: InterNations hosts regular social events for expats in China. These events are an excellent opportunity to meet digital nomads and establish connections.
- Chamber of Commerce Events: Many cities in China have foreign chambers of commerce that organize networking events. These events attract a diverse crowd, including digital nomads, and foster professional connections.
- Language Exchange Meetups: Language exchange meetups are a great way to meet locals and fellow expats. These events often attract a mix of digital nomads and provide an informal setting for networking.
Staying in shared accommodation can be an excellent way to meet fellow digital nomads in China. Platforms like Airbnb and co-living spaces offer opportunities to connect with like-minded individuals. Here are some options to consider:
- Co-living Spaces: Co-living spaces, such as XNode in Shanghai, provide a community-oriented living environment. They often organize events and activities, fostering connections among digital nomads.
- Airbnb Experiences: Some Airbnb hosts offer experiences or activities designed to bring travelers together. Participating in these experiences can lead to meaningful connections with other digital nomads.
- Hostels and Guesthouses: Staying in hostels or guesthouses is a budget-friendly option that attracts a diverse crowd, including digital nomads. Common areas provide opportunities to meet and socialize with fellow travelers.
Cafes and Cozy Spaces
Cafes and cozy spaces can be surprisingly effective for networking with digital nomads in China. Many cafes offer a relaxed atmosphere and free Wi-Fi, making them popular hangouts for remote workers. Here are some recommended cafes:
- Seesaw Coffee: With branches in Beijing and Shanghai, Seesaw Coffee is a favorite among digital nomads. It offers a cozy environment, quality coffee, and a conducive space for networking.
- Moka Bros: Moka Bros is a health-focused cafe with locations in Beijing and Shanghai. It attracts a health-conscious crowd, including digital nomads, and offers a vibrant atmosphere for networking.
- Starbucks Reserve Roastery: The Starbucks Reserve Roastery in Shanghai is a must-visit for coffee enthusiasts. Its spacious layout and unique coffee experience make it an ideal place to meet fellow digital nomads.
Networking Events by Industry
Attending industry-specific networking events can be a valuable way to meet digital nomads who share similar professional interests. Here are some industry-focused events to consider:
- China International Import Expo: This import-focused event held in Shanghai attracts professionals from various industries. It provides opportunities to network with digital nomads involved in international trade.
- China Digital Marketing Summit: Digital marketing professionals can connect with like-minded individuals at this summit. It offers insights, workshops, and networking opportunities to enhance your professional network.
- China Fashion Week: Fashion enthusiasts and professionals can network with fellow digital nomads in the fashion industry at China Fashion Week in Beijing.
Joining expat communities is a fantastic way to meet fellow digital nomads in China. These communities often organize events, social gatherings, and activities specifically for expats. Here are some notable expat communities in China:
- Internations: As mentioned earlier, Internations is a popular expat community that connects people living and working in China. It offers a wide range of events and activities for digital nomads to meet and socialize.
- Shanghai Expat: Shanghai Expat is an online platform that connects expats in Shanghai. It provides a forum, classifieds, and events calendar to help digital nomads network with others in the city.
- Beijing Expat Guide: Beijing Expat Guide is a comprehensive resource for expats in Beijing. It offers information on events, community groups, and networking opportunities for digital nomads.
Language Exchange Meetups
Language exchange meetups are not only a great way to learn a new language but also an opportunity to network with digital nomads in China. These events bring together locals and foreigners interested in learning each other’s languages. Here are some popular language exchange meetups:
- Beijing Language and Culture Exchange Meetup: This meetup group organizes regular language exchange events in Beijing. It attracts a diverse crowd, including digital nomads, and provides a platform to meet new people.
- Shanghai Language Exchange Meetup: This meetup group hosts language exchange events in Shanghai. It offers a relaxed environment for digital nomads to practice languages and make new connections.
- Guangzhou Language Exchange Meetup: Digital nomads in Guangzhou can join this meetup group to meet locals and fellow expats interested in language exchange.
In addition to physical events and communities, there are also networking apps that can help you connect with fellow digital nomads in China. These apps allow you to browse profiles, join interest-based groups, and message other users. Here are some popular networking apps:
- Meetup: Meetup is a platform that connects people with similar interests. You can find and join digital nomad groups in China to attend events and meet like-minded individuals.
- Internations: Internations, mentioned earlier as an expat community, also has a mobile app that allows you to connect with digital nomads in China on the go.
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a professional networking platform that can be used to connect with digital nomads and professionals in China. Join relevant groups and engage with others in your industry.
Networking is crucial for digital nomads in China to expand their professional network, find collaboration opportunities, and gain valuable insights. Whether through co-working spaces, tech events, online communities, shared accommodation, cafes, or industry-specific networking events, there are numerous avenues to meet fellow digital nomads in China. By actively engaging in these opportunities, you can build a strong network and make the most of your time in this vibrant country.
– WeWork: www.wework.com
– Ucommune: www.ucommune.com
– People Squared (P2): www.people-squared.com
– The China Conference: www.thechinaconference.org
– GMIC: www.thegmic.com
– ChinaBang Awards: www.chinabang.org
– Internations: www.internations.org
– Reddit: www.reddit.com/r/China
– Facebook Groups: Search for relevant digital nomad groups on Facebook
– InterNations Social Events: www.internations.org/expats/event
– Chamber of Commerce Events: Check the respective city’s chamber of commerce website
– Language Exchange Meetups: Search for language exchange meetups in specific cities
– Airbnb: www.airbnb.com
– XNode: www.thexnode.com
– Starbucks Reserve Roastery: www.starbucksreserve.com
– China International Import Expo: www.ciie.org
– China Digital Marketing Summit: www.chinadms.com
– China Fashion Week: www.chinafashionweek.org
– Shanghai Expat: www.shanghaiexpat.com
– Beijing Expat Guide: www.beijingexpatguide.com
– Meetup: www.meetup.com
– LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com