Setting Up Shop in Mexico: A Digital Nomad’s Workspace Guide
Mexico is a vibrant country with a rich culture, stunning landscapes, and a growing digital nomad community. With its affordable cost of living, excellent weather, and welcoming locals, Mexico has become an attractive destination for remote workers looking to set up shop. In this guide, we will explore the best locations, coworking spaces, and practical tips for digital nomads in Mexico.
Mexico offers a wide range of cities and towns that are suitable for digital nomads. Each location has its unique charm and advantages. Here are some popular choices:
- Mexico City: The bustling capital city is a hub of culture, art, and technology. It offers a vibrant coworking scene, excellent infrastructure, and a diverse community of professionals.
- Playa del Carmen: Located on the stunning Caribbean coast, Playa del Carmen offers a laid-back beach lifestyle combined with a growing digital nomad community. It provides a good balance between work and leisure.
- Guanajuato: This colonial city is known for its colorful streets, rich history, and artistic vibe. Guanajuato offers a relaxed atmosphere, affordable living, and a strong sense of community.
- Puerto Vallarta: Situated on the Pacific coast, Puerto Vallarta boasts beautiful beaches, a lively expat community, and a range of coworking spaces.
- Oaxaca: Oaxaca is a cultural and culinary hotspot, with a thriving arts scene and delicious cuisine. It offers a slower pace of life and a welcoming community.
Finding the right coworking space is essential for digital nomads looking for a productive workspace and a sense of community. Here are some top coworking spaces in Mexico:
- Nest Coworking (Mexico City): Located in the trendy neighborhood of Condesa, Nest Coworking offers a modern and comfortable workspace with high-speed internet, meeting rooms, and a vibrant community of entrepreneurs.
- CoWorkPlaya (Playa del Carmen): Situated in the heart of Playa del Carmen, CoWorkPlaya provides a collaborative environment with flexible membership options, ergonomic workstations, and regular networking events.
- La Biblioteca (Guanajuato): Housed in a historic building, La Biblioteca offers a unique coworking experience surrounded by books, art, and a tranquil courtyard. It provides a mix of private offices and shared workspaces.
- Workósfera (Puerto Vallarta): Workósfera is a beachfront coworking space that combines work and relaxation. It offers stunning ocean views, comfortable workstations, and a range of amenities.
- Coworking Oaxaca: Located in the heart of Oaxaca’s historic center, Coworking Oaxaca provides a spacious and well-equipped workspace with fast internet, meeting rooms, and a friendly community.
When it comes to accommodation, Mexico offers a variety of options to suit different budgets and preferences. Here are some popular choices for digital nomads:
- Airbnb: Renting an Airbnb apartment or house is a popular choice for digital nomads in Mexico. It provides flexibility, comfort, and the opportunity to live like a local.
- Coliving Spaces: Mexico has a growing number of coliving spaces that offer a combination of accommodation and coworking facilities. These spaces foster a sense of community and provide a ready-made network of like-minded individuals.
- Long-Term Rentals: For those planning to stay in Mexico for an extended period, long-term rentals are a cost-effective option. Websites like Vivanuncios and Segundamano offer listings for apartments and houses.
- Hotels and Guesthouses: If you prefer the convenience of hotel amenities, Mexico has a wide range of hotels and guesthouses to choose from. Whether you’re looking for luxury or budget options, you’ll find something to suit your needs.
Getting around Mexico is relatively easy, thanks to its extensive transportation network. Here are the main options for digital nomads:
- Taxis: Taxis are a convenient way to travel within cities and towns. Make sure to use licensed taxis or ride-hailing apps like Uber for safety and transparency.
- Public Transportation: Mexico has an efficient public transportation system, including buses and metro systems in major cities. It’s a cost-effective way to explore the country.
- Rideshares: In addition to Uber, Mexico has local rideshare services like Didi and Cabify. These services offer competitive prices and reliable transportation.
- Car Rentals: If you plan to explore remote areas or travel at your own pace, renting a car is a good option. Many international car rental companies operate in Mexico.
Taking care of your health is important as a digital nomad. Mexico has a well-established healthcare system, with both public and private options. Here are some key points to consider:
- Public Healthcare: Mexico offers public healthcare services through the Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social (IMSS) and the Instituto de Seguridad y Servicios Sociales de los Trabajadores del Estado (ISSSTE). These services are available to residents and can be accessed through employer contributions or by paying a monthly fee.
- Private Healthcare: Private healthcare in Mexico is known for its quality and affordability. Many digital nomads opt for private health insurance or pay out-of-pocket for medical services.
- Pharmacies: Pharmacies are readily available throughout Mexico, and many medications can be purchased without a prescription. However, it’s always advisable to consult a healthcare professional before self-medicating.
While Mexico is generally a safe country, it’s important to take certain precautions as a digital nomad. Here are some safety tips:
- Research: Before traveling to a specific location, research its safety situation and any potential risks. Stay updated with travel advisories from your country’s embassy or consulate.
- Blend In: Avoid drawing unnecessary attention to yourself by dressing modestly and blending in with the local culture.
- Secure Your Belongings: Keep your belongings secure at all times, especially in crowded areas or public transportation. Use lockers or safes provided by your accommodation.
- Stay Aware: Be mindful of your surroundings and trust your instincts. Avoid walking alone at night in unfamiliar areas and be cautious of your personal belongings.
Setting up shop in Mexico as a digital nomad offers an exciting opportunity to experience a new culture, enjoy beautiful landscapes, and connect with a vibrant community. With its diverse locations, coworking spaces, and practical amenities, Mexico provides an ideal environment for remote work. By following the tips and recommendations in this guide, you’ll be well-equipped to embark on your digital nomad journey in Mexico.
– Nest Coworking: nestcoworking.com
– CoWorkPlaya: coworkplaya.com
– La Biblioteca: labibliotecamx.com
– Workósfera: workosfera.com
– Coworking Oaxaca: coworkingoaxaca.com
– Airbnb: airbnb.com
– Vivanuncios: vivanuncios.com
– Segundamano: segundamano.mx