Setting Up Shop in Turkey: A Digital Nomad’s Workspace Guide
Turkey is an increasingly popular destination for digital nomads seeking a mix of rich history, vibrant culture, and affordable living. With its modern cities, stunning landscapes, and welcoming locals, Turkey offers a unique experience for remote workers looking to set up shop. In this guide, we will explore the best workspace options, amenities, and resources available to digital nomads in Turkey.
When it comes to finding the perfect workspace in Turkey, digital nomads have several options to choose from. Whether you prefer coworking spaces, coffee shops, or dedicated offices, Turkey has it all.
- Coworking Spaces: Turkey boasts a growing number of coworking spaces catering to the needs of digital nomads. Some popular options include Kolektif House, Impact Hub Istanbul, and ATÖLYE. These spaces provide comfortable workstations, high-speed internet, meeting rooms, and networking opportunities.
- Coffee Shops: Turkey is known for its vibrant café culture, making coffee shops a popular choice for digital nomads. Many coffee shops in major cities like Istanbul and Ankara offer free Wi-Fi, comfortable seating, and a relaxed atmosphere conducive to work.
- Dedicated Offices: For those seeking a more private and professional setting, renting a dedicated office space is a great option. Several companies in Turkey offer flexible office solutions, allowing digital nomads to have their own workspace with all the necessary amenities.
Connectivity and Internet
Having reliable internet access is crucial for digital nomads, and Turkey doesn’t disappoint in this aspect. The country has a well-developed telecommunications infrastructure, providing high-speed internet in most urban areas.
- Mobile Data: Turkish mobile operators offer affordable data plans with extensive coverage across the country. You can easily purchase a prepaid SIM card and enjoy fast internet on your smartphone or portable Wi-Fi device.
- Wi-Fi Availability: In addition to mobile data, Wi-Fi is widely available in hotels, cafes, and coworking spaces throughout Turkey. Many establishments offer free Wi-Fi to customers, making it convenient for digital nomads to stay connected.
- Internet Speed: Turkey has made significant advancements in internet infrastructure, and the average internet speed is satisfactory for remote work. Most coworking spaces and accommodations offer high-speed internet connections, ensuring a smooth working experience.
Finding suitable accommodation is essential for a comfortable and productive stay in Turkey. The country offers a wide range of options to suit different budgets and preferences.
- Apartments: Renting an apartment is a popular choice among digital nomads in Turkey. Websites like Airbnb, Booking.com, and local real estate agencies offer a variety of furnished apartments for short-term or long-term stays.
- Guesthouses and Hostels: For budget-conscious digital nomads or those looking to meet fellow travelers, guesthouses and hostels provide affordable accommodation options. These establishments often have communal areas where you can socialize and work.
- Serviced Apartments: If you prefer a more hotel-like experience with additional amenities, serviced apartments are a great choice. These apartments come fully furnished and offer services like housekeeping, laundry, and 24-hour reception.
Getting around Turkey is relatively easy, thanks to its well-connected transportation network. Here are some transportation options to consider as a digital nomad in Turkey:
- Taxis: Taxis are widely available in major cities and tourist areas. They are a convenient mode of transportation, but it’s important to ensure the meter is running and agree on a fare before starting the journey.
- Rideshare Apps: Popular rideshare apps like Uber and BiTaksi operate in Turkey, providing a reliable and affordable alternative to traditional taxis.
- Public Transportation: Turkey has an extensive public transportation system, including buses, trams, metros, and ferries. These options are cost-effective and allow you to explore the cities while avoiding traffic congestion.
Turkey is a country rich in history, culture, and natural beauty. As a digital nomad, take the opportunity to explore the diverse attractions and landmarks Turkey has to offer:
- Museums: Visit world-class museums like the Istanbul Archaeology Museums, Topkapi Palace Museum, and Antalya Museum to delve into Turkey’s ancient history and art.
- Historical Sites: Explore iconic historical sites such as the ancient city of Ephesus, the stunning rock formations of Cappadocia, and the grand ruins of Troy.
- Nature and Outdoor Activities: Enjoy Turkey’s beautiful landscapes by hiking in the Taurus Mountains, cruising along the Bosphorus Strait, or relaxing on the stunning beaches of Antalya.
One cannot visit Turkey without indulging in its delicious cuisine. Turkish food is renowned for its rich flavors and diverse dishes. Here are some must-try Turkish delicacies:
- Kebabs: Try mouthwatering kebabs like Adana kebab, shish kebab, and doner kebab, prepared with perfectly seasoned meat and served with traditional accompaniments.
- Manti: Manti is a Turkish dumpling dish similar to Italian tortellini. These bite-sized dumplings are typically filled with ground meat, topped with garlic yogurt sauce, and sprinkled with spices.
- Baklava: Indulge in sweet, flaky baklava, a traditional Turkish dessert made with layers of filo pastry, nuts, and sweet syrup.
Turkey Image 1:
Working Visa Requirements
Before setting up shop in Turkey, it’s essential to understand the visa requirements for digital nomads. While Turkey offers various visa options, the most suitable visa for remote workers is the e-Visa or a short-term tourist visa.
- E-Visa: Citizens of eligible countries can apply for an e-Visa online, allowing them to stay in Turkey for up to 90 days within a 180-day period for tourism or business purposes.
- Residence Permit: If you plan to stay in Turkey for an extended period, you may need to apply for a residence permit. The requirements and application process vary depending on your circumstances, so it’s advisable to consult with the nearest Turkish embassy or consulate.
Turkey Image 2:
Healthcare and Safety
Taking care of your health and safety is important when living as a digital nomad in Turkey. Here are some key considerations:
- Healthcare: Turkey has a well-established healthcare system, with both public and private hospitals offering quality medical services. It’s advisable to have travel insurance that covers medical expenses during your stay.
- Safety: Turkey is generally a safe country for travelers. However, it’s always recommended to stay informed about the current situation, follow local laws and customs, and take necessary precautions to ensure your safety.
Banking and Currency
Understanding the local banking system and currency is essential for managing your finances as a digital nomad in Turkey. The official currency is the Turkish Lira (TRY), and here are some banking options to consider:
- Local Bank Accounts: Opening a local bank account can simplify your financial transactions in Turkey. Most major banks offer services tailored to expatriates and digital nomads.
- ATMs: ATMs are widely available throughout Turkey, allowing you to withdraw cash using your international debit or credit card. However, be mindful of any associated fees.
- Currency Exchange: Currency exchange offices, known as “döviz bürosu,” can be found in major cities and tourist areas. It’s advisable to compare rates and fees before exchanging money.
Turkey Image 3:
Turkey offers an incredible blend of history, culture, and modern amenities for digital nomads looking to set up shop. With its diverse workspace options, reliable internet connectivity, and affordable accommodation, Turkey is an ideal destination for remote work. Additionally, the country’s rich heritage, stunning landscapes, and delectable cuisine provide ample opportunities for exploration and relaxation. Before embarking on your digital nomad journey in Turkey, familiarize yourself with visa requirements, healthcare options, and banking services to ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience.
– Kolektif House: kolektifhouse.co
– Impact Hub Istanbul: istanbul.impacthub.net
– ATÖLYE: atolye.io
– Airbnb: airbnb.com
– Booking.com: booking.com