Setting Up Shop in Vietnam: A Digital Nomad’s Workspace Guide
Vietnam, with its vibrant culture, stunning landscapes, and affordable cost of living, has become a popular destination for digital nomads looking to set up shop and work remotely. Whether you’re a freelancer, entrepreneur, or remote worker, Vietnam offers a range of options for creating your ideal workspace. In this guide, we’ll explore the best places to work, coworking spaces, internet connectivity, and more to help you set up your digital nomad workspace in Vietnam.
- Visa Exemptions: Citizens from certain countries, such as South Korea, Japan, and most European nations, can enter Vietnam without a visa for a specified period (usually 15-30 days).
- E-visa: For longer stays, you can apply for an e-visa online, which allows you to stay in Vietnam for up to 30 days. The process typically takes 3-5 working days.
- Visa on Arrival: Another option is to obtain a visa on arrival by applying online and collecting the visa at the airport upon arrival. This option is suitable for those planning to stay in Vietnam for more than 30 days.
Best Cities for Digital Nomads in Vietnam
- Ho Chi Minh City: Known for its bustling energy and vibrant expat community, Ho Chi Minh City offers a wide range of coworking spaces, cafes, and networking opportunities for digital nomads.
- Hanoi: The capital city of Vietnam, Hanoi, combines rich history with a growing startup scene. It provides a blend of modern amenities and traditional charm, making it an attractive destination for digital nomads.
- Da Nang: Located on the central coast of Vietnam, Da Nang offers a more relaxed lifestyle and beautiful beaches. It’s known for its friendly community and growing coworking spaces.
- WORK Saigon: Located in Ho Chi Minh City, WORK Saigon offers a modern and spacious coworking environment with high-speed internet, meeting rooms, and a vibrant community of entrepreneurs and digital nomads.
- Toong: With multiple locations in Hanoi, Toong provides well-designed coworking spaces, comfortable workstations, and various amenities such as event spaces, cafes, and lounges.
- Danang Coworking Space: Situated in Da Nang, this coworking space offers a relaxed and friendly atmosphere with flexible membership options, high-speed internet, and a supportive community.
- Fiber Optic Internet: In major cities like Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, fiber optic internet is widely available and offers high-speed and reliable connectivity for digital nomads.
- Mobile Data: Vietnam has a well-developed mobile network, and purchasing a local SIM card with a data plan is a convenient option for staying connected on the go.
- Cafes and Coworking Spaces: Most cafes and coworking spaces in Vietnam provide free Wi-Fi for customers. However, it’s always recommended to have a backup plan in case of any connectivity issues.
- Apartments: Renting an apartment is a popular choice for digital nomads in Vietnam. Websites like www.airbnb.com and www.booking.com offer a wide range of options for short-term and long-term stays.
- Guesthouses and Hostels: For a more budget-friendly option, guesthouses and hostels can provide affordable accommodation with basic amenities. Websites like www.hostelworld.com and www.agoda.com offer listings for guesthouses and hostels in Vietnam.
- Serviced Apartments: If you prefer a more hotel-like experience with additional services, serviced apartments are available in major cities. Websites like www.theascott.com and www.somerset.com offer serviced apartment options.
- Taxis: Metered taxis are a convenient way to get around cities in Vietnam. Reliable taxi services include Vinasun and Mai Linh.
- Grab: Grab is a popular ride-hailing service in Vietnam, offering affordable and reliable transportation options.
- Motorbike Rental: Renting a motorbike is a common choice for getting around in Vietnam. However, be sure to have a valid license and wear a helmet for safety.
Cost of Living
- Accommodation: The cost of accommodation varies depending on the location and type of property. In major cities, a studio apartment can range from $300 to $700 per month.
- Food: Street food and local restaurants offer affordable dining options, with meals costing as little as $1 to $5. Western-style restaurants and groceries may be slightly more expensive.
- Transportation: Public transportation is inexpensive, with bus fares starting at around $0.30. Motorbike rentals can range from $50 to $150 per month.
- International Hospitals: Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi have reputable international hospitals that provide quality healthcare services. Some notable options include FV Hospital and Vinmec International Hospital.
- Travel Insurance: It’s important to have comprehensive travel insurance that covers medical expenses while in Vietnam. Companies like World Nomads and SafetyWing offer travel insurance options for digital nomads.
- Pharmacies: Pharmacies are readily available throughout Vietnam, and most common medications can be purchased without a prescription.
- Halong Bay: A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Halong Bay is known for its stunning limestone islands and emerald waters. Take a cruise or kayak through the bay to experience its beauty.
- Hoi An: This charming ancient town is famous for its well-preserved architecture, colorful lanterns, and tailor-made clothing. Explore the narrow streets, visit local markets, and try the delicious street food.
- Mekong Delta: Discover the vibrant culture and lush landscapes of the Mekong Delta. Take a boat tour along the river, visit floating markets, and experience the local way of life.
Setting up shop as a digital nomad in Vietnam offers a unique blend of affordability, cultural richness, and natural beauty. From bustling cities to serene coastal towns, Vietnam provides a range of options for creating your ideal workspace. With a growing digital nomad community, coworking spaces, and reliable internet connectivity, Vietnam is an excellent destination for those looking to combine work and adventure.
Vietnam Image 1:
Vietnam Image 2:
Vietnam Image 3:
- FV Hospital – www.fvhospital.com
- Vinmec International Hospital – www.vinmec.com
- World Nomads – www.worldnomads.com
- SafetyWing – www.safetywing.com