Emergency Services: What to Know While in Bermuda
Bermuda, a beautiful island in the Atlantic Ocean, is a popular tourist destination known for its stunning beaches, vibrant culture, and rich history. While enjoying your time in Bermuda, it’s important to be aware of the emergency services available on the island. In case of any unforeseen circumstances, knowing how to access emergency assistance can provide peace of mind. This article will guide you through the various emergency services available in Bermuda, ensuring you are well-prepared during your visit.
- Bermuda Police Service: The Bermuda Police Service (BPS) is responsible for maintaining law and order on the island. They handle emergency situations, investigate crimes, and provide general policing services. In case of an emergency, dial 911 to reach the BPS.
- Community Policing: The BPS has a community policing program that aims to build positive relationships between the police and the community. They organize events, provide crime prevention advice, and address community concerns. Contact your local police station for more information.
- Non-Emergency Assistance: For non-emergency situations that require police assistance, you can contact the BPS on their non-emergency number at (441) 295-0011.
- Bermuda Hospitals Board: The Bermuda Hospitals Board (BHB) operates the island’s only hospital, the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, located in Paget Parish. It provides a wide range of medical services, including emergency care, surgeries, and specialized treatments. In case of a medical emergency, dial 911 for an ambulance to take you to the nearest hospital.
- Urgent Care Centers: Bermuda has several urgent care centers that provide medical assistance for non-life-threatening conditions. These centers offer extended hours and walk-in services. Some popular options include the Lamb Foggo Urgent Care Centre in St. David’s and the Brown-Darrell Clinic in Smith’s Parish.
- Pharmacies: Pharmacies in Bermuda offer a range of over-the-counter medications and prescription drugs. If you require medication during your stay, ensure you have a sufficient supply. Some pharmacies also provide after-hours emergency services.
Fire and Rescue Services
- Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service: The Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service (BFRS) is responsible for fire prevention, firefighting, and rescue operations on the island. In case of a fire or other emergencies, dial 911 to reach the BFRS.
- Fire Safety: It’s important to familiarize yourself with fire safety procedures and evacuation routes in your accommodation. Follow all safety guidelines and report any fire hazards to the appropriate authorities.
- Bermuda Coast Guard: The Bermuda Coast Guard is responsible for maritime safety, search and rescue operations, and enforcing maritime laws. They ensure the safety of boaters and monitor the island’s waters. In case of a maritime emergency, contact the Bermuda Coast Guard on VHF Channel 16 or dial 911.
- Marine Assistance: If you encounter any issues while boating, such as engine failure or navigational problems, you can contact marine assistance services, such as Sea Tow Bermuda or Bermuda Yacht Services.
- Travel Insurance: It is highly recommended to have travel insurance that covers medical emergencies, trip cancellations, and other unforeseen events. Ensure you have a copy of your insurance policy and emergency contact numbers.
- Emergency Contacts: Save important emergency contacts in your phone, including the local police, hospital, embassy, and your accommodation’s front desk.
- Know Your Location: Familiarize yourself with the address and directions to your accommodation, as well as nearby landmarks. This information will be useful when communicating with emergency services.
- Stay Informed: Stay updated on local news and weather conditions. Follow any advisories or warnings issued by local authorities.
Bermuda Image 1:
- Emergency Services (Police, Fire, Ambulance): 911
- Police Non-Emergency: (441) 295-0011
- Bermuda Hospitals Board: (441) 236-2345
- Bermuda Coast Guard: (441) 295-5151
Bermuda Image 2:
In Bermuda, being aware of the available emergency services is essential to ensure your safety and well-being during your visit. Remember to save important emergency contact numbers, familiarize yourself with your location, and stay informed about any local advisories. By taking these precautions and knowing how to access emergency assistance, you can have a worry-free experience while exploring the beautiful island of Bermuda.
- Bermuda Police Service: www.bermudapolice.bm
- Bermuda Hospitals Board: www.bhb.bm
- Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service: www.gov.bm
- Bermuda Coast Guard: www.marops.bm